Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Pancakes

Scientist loves to cook! He jumps on any opportunity he gets to help out when we are cooking. It occurred to me the other day that cooking is educational. I know, I'm a little slow. :)

But after thinking about it, I really do think that cooking can be a good learning experience for all ages. My initial thought was the math involved. Scientist is still pretty young to be doing fractions, but he can count the number of cups, teaspoons, eggs, etc. that are going into a recipe. As I listened to my husband helping him make pancakes the other day, I really liked what I was hearing.

Aaron: Scientist, I need a teaspoon and a tablespoon can you get them out of the drawer please.
Scientist: Here Dad
Aaron: Ok, look at them, which one is the big one? Yup, good job, ok I need you to use the big one, that's the tablespoon, and get one tablespoon of sugar and dump it in.

That's just a small example, but the whole time they cooked, they were talking and interacting and Aaron was asking Scientist questions to make him think, and Scientist was loving it.

And so I've decided that every so often when I come across a recipe that would be a good one to make with a toddler, I will include it on our blog. Today's recipe is for pancakes, one of our family's favorite dinners.

Melt in Your Mouth Pancakes

2 cups Bisquick mix
1 cup milk
2 eggs
1 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp vanilla

(Toddler can do this step) Stir all ingredients together until well blended. (Adult should do this step) Pour slightly less than 1/4 cupfuls onto hot greased griddle, cook until edges are dry, flip over and cook until golden.

No comments:

Post a Comment