Thursday, October 1, 2009

About Lisa


This is my fifth year as a homeschool mom. I guess I'm what you would call an eclectic homeschooler, picking up a good idea here and a great piece of curriculum there. I spend a good deal of time thinking about how each of my children learn and think so I can choose just the right materials for them. In my free time I enjoy reading, hiking, yoga and gardening. My husband, Jared, and I have four children.

My oldest is my "Thinker." I believe all children are gifted but Thinker is double so. These kids come with lots of different labels, twice gifted, twice exceptional (2e), right-brain thinkers, whatever you want to call them, they are a joy and a challenge to raise. Thinker is always doing just that; thinking, creating, questioning, wondering. It's like I can see the gears in his head cranking - all the time. At 12 years old he is a writer, an artist, a naturalist and an avid reader.

My second son is my "Engineer." Unlike myself and his brothers he is a very logical, sequential thinker. He always wants to know how things work. He is 9 years old and loves scouting, building, doing science projects, and running around outside with anyone who has the time to play with him.

"Puzzler" is my third son and my second 2e child. He is a puzzle because with speech, auditory and visual processing issues we are never quite sure how much he is learning or what he understand until he lets out a burst of profound insight. He is particularly gifted with mathematical concepts. Like most seven year olds he likes to play outside, do legos, build with blocks and play make believe.

I hate to use such a sexist term but our only daughter really is our family's "Princess." She is an adorable angel and holy terror all mixed into one. Her high energy and volatile temper certainly keep us on our toes! She is four years old and loves to be read to and always wants to join in school time with her own "workbooks."

No comments:

Post a Comment