Tuesday, April 27, 2010

What an Unschooled Teen Can Do


Between a week long road trip and my two brother's weddings I missed the recent Internet explosion about GMA's unschooling report. I won't go into the absurdity of such biased reporting because that's clearly already been covered. What I think is interesting is the seemingly unrelated reports about Abby Sunderland, the teenager who is attempting to be the youngest person to sail solo around the world. There's been all kinds of talk about sailing records and the technical difficulties of the trip but I haven't seen anyone mention the fact that Abby is an unschooler.

I have no official documentation on Abby's educational status but I think it's safe to say that because she is on a boat in the middle of the ocean, she is not in school. I also sincerely doubt she is pouring over grammar and math workbooks in her freetime, so that would make her an unschooler. Even though she is living in a world without school, I don't hear anyone questioning her ability to work hard, her exposure to new things or her preparation for college. I just wish people would make the connection between Abby's unschooling status and her amazing accomplishments. Maybe then they would see what an incredible opportunity unschooling is!

No comments:

Post a Comment