Monday, April 5, 2010

The Important Things


My neighbors' house burned down today. They spent 3 years building it themselves while they lived in a travel trailer, they finished it a mere three years ago. No one was home, so fortunately there were no injuries. However, she's 8 and 1/2 monthes pregnant with their fourth. My heart ached for them as we watched the smoke pour out.

There's nothing like an unexcepted trajedy to open your eyes to what the important things in your life are. Just last night my husband and I were stressing out about vacation plans. I made the comment, "you know, some people have real problems." How clear that is today.

So now I'm wondering, am I teaching my children the most important things? Am I teaching them everything they need to deal with their own trials? Am I helping them build strong characters? Am I preparing our family to deal with whatever life might send our way? I hope I am, but it's certainly a lot to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment